Ashwini – The Horses Mansion
- Sidereal location: 00:00°-13:20° in Aries.
- Tropical location: 24:00° in Aries to 7:20° in Taurus.
- Corresponding fixed stars: α, β and γ Arietes, located in the head of the ram.
- Ruler: Ketu, Ashwin Twins – Ashwini Kumaras.
- Nature: Sattvic
- Motive: Dharma (Righteousness)
- Activity: Active
- C\M\D: Creation
- A\P\M: Mineral
- Elements: Water, Kapha
- Qualities and direction: Small, Sharp, Sideways.
- Sex, species and caste: Trader, Demon, Horse, Male.
- Special power: To heal and to achieve the goal as quickly as possible.
- Main themes: Speed, horses, healing, plastic surgery, twins, poets, running away, rapid advance, breaking limits.
- Appropriate activities: Business and sales, dating and sex, creating and wearing jewelry, music and art, journeys and vacations, travel abroad, buying vehicles, laying roads and railways.
The Ashwini lunar mansion gets its name from the horse twins of Hindu mythology, which probably originate from the same source as the Greek Castor and Pollux. In the mythical story, the wife of the Sun turned in to a horse to escape from him, and when the Sun turned in to a horse himself in order to pursue her the result was the horse headed twins. This is why this mansion is connected to running away, speed, races, vehicles and horses. These twins went on to become famous surgeons and healers, hence the connection to medicine both in terms of doctors and surgeons and of nurses, needles and medications. In addition, both the splitting Ketu and the mythical twins set this lunar mansion as one of the astrological indicators for twins in the birth chart. In the birth chart of Harry Houdini this mansion contains Mars, and the Sun occupies it in the birth chart of Robert Oppenheimer. This is also the position of Rahu in the charts of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, and the position of Venus in the chart of Jackie Chan. In the birth chart of Pamela Anderson, both the Moon (breasts) and Rahu (artificial) are located in Ashwini.
The Sun is exalted in 10 degrees of Aries in this lunar mansion, and a good parable for this position would be a stallion striding forward while leading the whole herd.
Bharani – The Cup Mansion
- Siderial location: 13:20°-26:40° in Aries.
- Tropical location: 07:20°-20:40° in Taurus.
- Corresponding fixed stars: 35, 39 and 41 Arietes, formerly in the constellation Musca Borealis (northern fly) and today part of Aries.
- Ruler: Venus, Yama – The god of death.
- Nature: Rajasic
- Motive: Artha (Livelihood)
- Activity: Balanced
- C\M\D: Maintenance
- A\P\M: Plant
- Elements: Earth, Pitta
- Qualities and direction: Mixed, fierce and cruel, downwards
- Sex, species and caste: Foreigner, human, elephant, female.
- Special power: The power to clear, cleanse and remove flaws.
- Main themes: Birth, the female sex organ, gynecology, death, butchering, hunting, dancing.
- Appropriate activities: Assault and aggression, ambush and betrayal, murder and assassination, poisoning and pest control, arson and incineration, hypnosis and psychotherapy, black magick, animal training, military training, horror movies, digging ditches, trenches, foundations and wells, tunneling and laying infrastructure.
The Bharani (container, cup, vessel) lunar mansion gets its name from its symbol – the female sex organ. Quite ironically, the ruler of this mansion is Yama, the god of death, which is a stark reminder that everyone who was born from a woman must eventually die. Due to this slightly schizophrenic symbolism, this lunar mansion simultaneously represents both midwives and undertakers, gynecologists and pathologists, sex workers and murderers, etc. The association with the god of death is emphasized by this mansion being one of the cruel\fierce ones, on which it is advised to perform destructive actions according to electoral astrology. Despite all of this, this lunar mansion also has a positive side as it can be found in the charts of many stars, models and dancers who became sex symbols.
Saturn enters deep debilitation in 20 degrees of Aries in this lunar mansion, which is not surprising as both birth and death are upheavals that change the established order.
Krittika – The Critical Mansion
- Sidereal location: 26:40° in Aries to 10:00° in Taurus
- Tropical location: 20:40° in Taurus to 04:00° in Gemini.
- Corresponding fixed stars: The Pleiades (seven sisters) constellation, which represent the wives of the Saptarishis (seven sages) in Hindu mythology.
- Ruler: Sun, Agni – The fire god
- Nature: Rajasic
- Motive: Kama (pleasure)
- Activity: Active
- C\M\D: Destruction
- A\P\M: Animal
- Elements: Earth, Kapha
- Qualities and direction: Mixed, ordinary, downwards
- Sex, species and caste: Priest, demon, sheep, female
- Special power: The power to burn the chaff to get to the essence.
- Main themes: Fire, weapons, sports, aggression, criticism, adoption and surrogacy.
- Appropriate activities: Religious ceremonies and offerings, cooking and chemistry, group activities, trade and commerce, cleaning and maintenance, assault and aggression, murder and assassination, poisoning and pest control, arson and incineration, hypnosis and psychotherapy, black magick, animal training, military training, horror movies, digging ditches, trenches, foundations and wells, tunneling and laying infrastructure.
The Krittika lunar mansion is probably the easiest to understand as its name literally means critical. And both its symbol, a sharp blade, and its ruler the god of fire leave little doubt as to the symbolism and meaning of this powerful lunar mansion. In the mythological story of Agni, the fire god, he was born from a volcano and the wives of the Saptarishis (seven sages) became his surrogate mothers. In some versions of the story Agni is replaced by Kartikeya, a Hindu version of Mars, the son of Shiva and the origin of the name of this mansions. From here stem the associations of this mansion with the impulsiveness and aggression of a volcano, matters of surrogacy and adoption, and the destructive force of fire itself. Despite all these, this lunar mansion isn’t considered cruel because the sharp blade can also be a shaving razor or a kitchen knife, and the fire can just as well cook food and keep you warm instead of burning or destroying. In the Arthava Veda this lunar mansion is mentioned as the first instead of Ashwini as is customary today.
The Moon is exalted in 03:00° of Taurus in this lunar mansion, and as a parable one can consider the razor sharp mind of Sherlock Holmes.