Mula – The Roots Mansion
- Sidereal Location: 00:00°-13:20° in Sagittarius.
- Tropical Location: 24:00° in Sagittarius to 07:20° in Capricorn.
- Corresponding Fixed Stars: ε, ζ, η, θ, ι, κ, λ, μ and ν Scorpionis, which make up the tail of the scorpion.
- Ruler: Ketu, Nirrti\Alakshmi – The goddess of lack, sorrow, and misfortune.
- Nature: Tamasic
- Motive: Artha (livelihood)
- Activity: Active
- C\M\D: Creation
- A\P\M: Mineral
- Elements: Air, Vata
- Qualities and Direction: Fierce and cruel, downwards
- Sex, Species and Caste: Butcher, demon, dog, neutral
- Special Power: The ability to break, uproot, destroy and annihilate.
- Activation Ages: 5, 6, 24, 29, 33, 34, 35, 59, 63, 80, 86.
- Main themes: Plants and greenery, gardening and agriculture, chemicals and pharmaceuticals, lineages and generations, culling and euthanasia, poisoning and pest control, horror and phobias, secrets and cover-ups.
- Appropriate activities: Gardening and agriculture, medication and chemistry, assault and aggression, ambush and betrayal, murder and assassination, poisoning and pest control, arson and incineration, hypnosis and psychotherapy, black magick, animal training, military training, horror movies, digging ditches, trenches, foundations and wells, tunneling and mining, laying infrastructure.
The Mula (root, plant) lunar mansion gets its name from its symbol, the tangled roots of a plant, and astronomically, it corresponds to the center of our galaxy. The symbolism of this mansion alludes to its association both to the creative power of new beginnings and to the fierce power of utter destruction. The deity of this mansion is Nirrti, the goddess of calamity and sorrow who is sometimes known as Alakshmi (poverty, scarcity) and is often associated with the goddess Kali. The worship of this goddess is a form of appeasement and deterrent instead of an invocation and invite, hence the association of this mansion with things rejected, shun and hidden from the limelight like the roots that are hidden deep underground.
This mansion plays a part in the charts of some of the bloodiest figures in history such as Hitler (Moon), Mao (Sun), Vlad III Dracula (Mercury), Putin (Mars), Rasputin (Venus), Lenin (Saturn), Napoleon (Rahu) and Stalin (Sun and Venus). On a more positive note, this mansion is also prominent in the charts of Chuck Norris (Moon), Thomas Edison (Moon and Mars), Isaac Newton (Mercury), George Washington (Rahu) and Jawaharlal ‘Pandit’ Nehru (Ketu).
Purva Ashadha – The ‘Initial Invincible’ Mansion
- Sidereal Location: 13:20°-26:40° in Sagittarius.
- Tropical Location: 07:20°-20:40° in Capricorn.
- Corresponding Fixed Stars: Kaus Media and Kaus Australis, aka δ and ε Sagittarii.
- Ruler: Venus, Apas – The water god.
- Nature: Rajasic
- Motive: Kama (Pleasure)
- Activity: Balanced
- C\M\D: Maintenance
- A\P\M: Plant
- Elements: Air, Pitta
- Qualities and Direction: Fierce and cruel, downwards
- Sex, Species and Caste: Priest, human, monkey, female
- Special Power: The ability to stimulate and fill with vigor and zeal.
- Activation Ages: 7, 11, 15, 23, 29, 63, 71, 76, 87.
- Main themes: Selectivity and choosiness, passion and drive, weapons and violence, battles and war, preaching and doctrine, religious and ideological extremism, defeat after initial victories.
- Appropriate activities: Business and sales, dating and sex, swimming and sailing, diving and fishing, plumbing and irrigation, fountains and pools, assault and aggression, ambush and betrayal, murder and assassination, poisoning and pest control, arson and incineration, hypnosis and psychotherapy, black magick, animal training, military training, horror movies, digging ditches, trenches, foundations and wells, tunneling and mining, laying infrastructure.
The Purva (initial) Ashadha (unassailable, invincible) lunar mansion gets its name from its symbols, the tusks of an elephant that pierce anything they encounter when he decides to charge, this symbolism is often expressed in a combination of recklessness and extremism which bring initial successes but end up in ruin, like in the cases of Adolf Hitler (Jupiter and Ketu), Joan of Arc (Mercury) and John F. Kennedy (Rahu).
Another important symbol of this mansion is the winnowing basket which was used in the past to separate the wheat from the chaff. This symbol alludes to the narrow-focused doctrines and beliefs that are often represented by this mansion like in the cases of Opus Dei founder Josemaria Escriva (Sun, Moon and Saturn), Founder of Mormonism Joseph Smith (Mars and Rahu), Father of Communism Karl Marks (Jupiter), and inventor of Christian Social Anarchism Leo Tolstoy (Mars). Sometimes this mansion also symbolizes falling victim to extremism due to differing beliefs, as in the case of Galileo (Rahu).
The deity of this mansion, Apas, the god of water, symbolizes not only actual water that nourishes life but also spiritual water that nourishes ideas, hence this mansion symbolizes not only extremism but also the creativity of poets, writers, scientists and philosophers, for example the aforementioned Galileo Galilei (Rahu) and Johannes Kepler (Mercury), J. R. R. Tolkien (Sun) and Rudyard Kipling (Sun and Jupiter), Thomas Aquinas (Jupiter) and Elvis Presley (Sun).
Uttara Ashadha – The ‘Conclusive Invincible’ Mansion
- Sidereal Location: 26:40° in Sagittarius to 10:00° in Capricorn.
- Tropical Location: 20:40° in Capricorn to 04:00° in Aquarius.
- Corresponding Fixed Stars: Ascella and Nunki, aka ζ and σ Sagittarii.
- Ruler: Sun, Vishvadevas – “All the gods”.
- Nature: Rajasic
- Motive: Moksha (liberation)
- Activity: Balanced
- C\M\D: Destruction
- A\P\M: Animal
- Elements: Air, kapha
- Qualities and Direction: Fixed, upwards
- Sex, Species and Caste: Warrior, human, mongoose, male
- Special Power: The ability to give absolute victory.
- Activation Ages: 4, 11, 23, 35, 43, 47, 58, 60, 66, 71, 76, 82.
- Main themes: Battles and war, victory and triumph, achievements and success, fame and glory, support and admiration, alliances and partnerships, organizations and social movements, relationship and marital problems.
- Appropriate activities: Business and sales, starting companies and organizations, signing contracts, purchasing realestate, dating and sex, making and wearing jewelry, sowing and planting, music and art, engagements and marriage, beginning construction, digging ditches, trenches, foundations and wells, tunneling and mining, laying infrastructure.
While its predecessor, Purva Ashadha, dealt with the initiative and extremism needed to achieve victory and was symbolized by the elephants tusks, Uttara Ashadha can be equated to the elephant that wields those tusks which no animal can defeat and deals with making victories and achievements permanent and secure. The deity of this mansion is Vishvadeva, which literally translates as “all the gods”, and represents the entire Hindu pantheon combined into one. Both the symbol and the deity represent such a vast support in the form of size, numbers or allies that no one can even try to defeat it.
Despite this, the weakness of this mansion is in the area of marriage and relationships, as this is the only mansion whose animal is the mongoose. This mansion is often encountered in the maps of people with worldwide fame and success, such as Elvis Presley (Mercury, Venus and Rahu), John Lennon and Napoleon (Moon), Washington and Lincoln (Moon), Einstein (Rahu and Mars), Steve Jobs (Venus), The Dalai Lama (Rahu), Benjamin Franklin (Sun), Mohammad Ali and Martin Luther King Jr (Sun), Theodore Roosevelt (Mars), Friedrich Nietzsche (Saturn) and Michael Jordan (Mercury and Ketu).
Jupiter is debilitated at 5° of Capricorn in this lunar mansion, due to its competitive, violent and extremist nature. In the birth chart of Barack Obama, Jupiter is located in Uttara Asadha along with Saturn, the ruler of Capricorn, in a combination known as ‘cancellation of debilitation’.
Abhijit – The ‘Absolute’ Mansion
- Sidereal Location: 06:40°-10:53° in Capricorn.
- Tropical Location: 00:40° – 04: 53° in Aquarius.
- Corresponding Fixed Stars: Vega, aka α Lyrae.
- Ruler: Sun, Brahma – The Creator.
- Nature: Sattvic
- Qualities and Direction: Small, light, sideways
- Special Power: The ability to be invincible.
- Main themes: Success in every deed, masterpieces and extraordinary results.
- Appropriate activities: Business and sales, dating and sex, learning and education, music and art, making and wearing new clothes, leisure and games, parties and guests, holidays and family gatherings, trips and vacations, going abroad, purchasing vehicles, constructing roads, bridges and railways.
The Abhijit (absolute, unified, complete) lunar mansion is sometimes considered the 28 mansion of the lunar zodiac, especially in electoral astrology, and has gained special significance in Hindu culture and astrology due to the belief that everything began with the moon in Abhijit will result in success. In the story of the Mahabharata, Krishna hides Abhijit from the Kauravas thus preventing them from starting the war at a time which will make them invincible. Later on in the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna explains that among the lunar mansions he is Abhijit, hence he and Vishnu are considered rulers of this mansion along with Brahma.